::: creative starters

While having a peek at Deborah Stewart’s blog, Teach Preschool, we liked her easel starter idea of pasting two goggly eyes to the paper, added paint and encouraged the children to go with it.

We tried it with the three year olds, just sticking two eyes onto A4 coloured paper and adding some pastels rather than paint like Deborah had at the easels.

We were very impressed by the response from these littlies, who really enjoyed the challenge!

Next time we thought we might try some other types of starters – we’ll get back to you when we do. Thanks for the inspiration Deborah.

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to “creative starters”

1. Thnx for sharing this idea. I often have a surprise at our craft table for my son at the end of the day or on weekends. He loves these ‘surprises’ This idea will be on his table sometime this week

::: Have fun with it Esther! :) :)

2. avatar Snagrom says:

What a fantastic idea. I can’t wait to see what my kids come up with!

::: Have fun Snagrom. :) :)

3. avatar Deborah says:

Haha – those are awesome!

::: Thanks for the inspiration Deborah! :) :)

4. avatar Jolene says:

What an interesting provocation! Love it!

::: We have plans to extend this activity Jolene … Watch this space! :) :)

5. Love this easel starter idea and definately using it this week. don’t you just love the early childhood blogosphere!

::: Oh Lesley … You took the words right out of our mouths! :) :)

6. avatar Kerrie says:

Love it! What a wonderful idea.

::: Thanks Kerrie. :) :)

7. avatar LeeAnn says:

I used this last week, it was amazing how different each childs art work turned out. Yes, lets come up with more starters. I may try making a cone out of paper and putting a few on, I see them as beaks, I wonder what will come up?

::: Great idea Lesley. We’re thinking along the same lines as you … lots of different shapes. It will certainly be interesting! :) :)

8. avatar Nicole says:

haha, Love it. Funny the room I was in today with mostly 3 year olds (some two years olds) one of the staff did that. thought it was a great idea. Still very open ended but creative. one of the little girls at the moment is so into drawing faces, like will spend ages and lots of paper drawing different faces. Im guessing my co worker got the idea from here. Great!

::: We wouldn’t be surprised Nicole … Children are after all our best teachers! :) :)