::: a fresh look at the light box

Sherry’s Uncle Bill is a very handy chap who has all sorts of interesting stuff hidden away! He found an old light box which he didn’t need any more and donated it to our cause – thanks Uncle Bill!

We had it sitting on the bench as we had recently fixed it up, when the children spotted it and wanted to have a play with it.

We had some solid glass paper weights which they placed along the top edge – they looked gorgeous with the light shining through them!

They added quite an assortment of bits and pieces we had around including glow in the dark dinosaurs and sea creatures …

which unfortunately didn’t hold their glow when we turned the lights out but looked gorgeous with the light on!

It is surprising how great basic things look with the light as the background.

Paper objects, plastics, cellophane, rubber bands …

even these cocktail umbrellas looked awesome!

It’s a good reminder that you don’t really need specialist equipment to make the light box a useful and exciting tool.

If you want to make your own light box check out this post by Deborah over at Teach Preschool where she shows you how she made a mini light box or this post, where she makes a bigger one and this post where she tweaks it!

Tags: , , , , ,

10 Responses to “a fresh look at the light box”

I just gotta make a light box. It’s definitely on my list.

::: Hmmmm seems we all have a list like that Scott!! Our advice would be … Don’t add it to the bottom, squeeze it in up the top! :) :)

2. avatar Jules says:

the light box looks great and it has given me some more ideas about what to put on my one. This week I used my one for the first time and put buttons, shells, coloured stones and some white pebbles onit and the children loved it they couldn’t get enough of it. The creations that were made were fantastic.

::: Light boxes are so interesting aren’t they Jules?! … AND so much fun! :) :)

3. avatar Greg says:

We all need an Uncle Bill or 50 I think!

::: BAD NEW FOR US Greg … Uncle Bill just retired to Townsville!!!! But on the upside he left us all his really cool stuff … like the light box!!! :) :)

4. avatar Ronnie says:

my hubby made me a light box years ago for transferring embroidery patterns but who has time for that?? I have been thinking to dig it out to use with preschoolers but had no idea what manuplitives to use having only seen comercial stuff in catalogues. Your ideas using everyday stuff are awesome and I am definatly going to borrow them !

::: Oh good Ronnie … Glad we can inspire! :) :)

5. avatar Pam says:

Love these ideas! The light box looks so inviting!

::: Actually, it was after seeing your children at Highvale playing with your light box Pam that we were inspired to find one! :) :)

6. avatar TJ says:

we have just recently purchased light boxes for our centre. I thought I had nothing to put on it so I gatherd lots of natural items, what a beautiful sorting and counting experience it became, so simple.

::: So simple yet so beautiful TJ. Light boxes are so versatile and so much fun!!! :) :)

7. avatar Donna Jones says:

Using color bottles on the light table is also a great way to explore color changing. I use round plastic coke bottles to fill with colored water and glue the lids shut. You can put them in a sunny window or put on the light box where children can overlap them to make new colors!

::: Another cool idea Donna … Thanks. :) :)

8. avatar Donna Jones says:

Another idea for the lightbox: print alphabet letters in different colors and get them copied on transparencies. Cut them out and use them on the light box. Then you have included literacy in your science activity!

::: That’s a great idea Donna! … Thanks for sharing it. :) :)

9. avatar Linda says:

I don’t have an Uncle Bill. . . but I do have a parent of one of my students who is a chiropractor. Since they use mostly digital images now, he gave me his old x-ray light box! I am going to have my hubby create a cabinet for it so it is more mobile and I’ll have storage as well. He also gave me a boatload of old x-rays.

::: You’ve got to love the generosity of parents (and hubby’s) Linda! :) :)

10. avatar Earlene says:

I bought a big pack of transparent colored drinking straws from Ikea and threw them onto the light table and thought about what to do with them. Playing with them flat was obvious but how could the kids stand them up? I thought of freezing some upright in a block of ice, but, that needs more thinking. Then I remembered Knox Blox–a gelatin creation from the 1970′s. The recipe is online. Make the gelatin block as described–either clear or with food colors–and the drinking straws can be pushed into them. The kids cut out triangular sails for some of them to make boats and tied string between others to hang small objects on. The kids want lots of gelatin blocks for building on the light box so we’ll make a huge tray and cut them apart using a ruler. What else can we do.?

::: Earlene that certainly sound interesting … Can’t say we’ve ever thought of using gelatin like that before! :) :)