::: i spy jars & picture cards

A while back we posted about an I spy bottle the children made using recycled materials …

and a wiggly green worm.

The staff at Kurboroo kindergarten were inspired by this post and came up with an I spy version of their own, burying objects in large glass jars full of rice.

As an extension to our I spy bottle, they photographed each object before they placed it in the jar.

Then they made up picture cards matching the contents of the jars …

and challenged the children to find and match the items.

It was a lovely game  …

and the children relished the challenge.

Considering this group of children were from the pre-kinder group …

we were extremely impressed with their ability to find and match the objects!

Tags: , ,

14 Responses to “i spy jars & picture cards”

I’ve seen a similar idea before. I need to make some of these. Thanks for the reminder.

And I really like how they color-coded the jars and pictures so the kids would know which one had which set of pictures.

::: It’s a great Idea isn’t it Scott, we love it too! To extend older children you could mix up the pictures too so the figures weren’t all in the same jar. :) :)

2. avatar Country Fun says:

We’ve also made I Spy bottles using large recycled plastic containers. To see a video of my kids using one of them check out this link: http://countryfun.edublogs.org/2011/03/14/i-spy-bottle/
    You will also have a link there to directions for how we made ours.
    These are used regularly around here.

::: I loved all the chit chat happening between your children Country Fun and their excitement at discovering something … Thanks for sharing! :) :)

3. avatar Tammy Murphy says:

I love how you added the pictures to match and search and find. I love making these bottles with my kids but never thought to make a little guide to help match the pictures. Thank you soooo much for sharing! I love it!

::: Just think Tammy, now you’ll have a lovely extension for an existing activity … We love it when that happens! :) :)

4. avatar Incha says:

Great idea, thank you!

::: You’re welcome Incha … Thanks for stopping by! :) :)

5. Thats a great idea, I can’t wait to try it with my 3! x

::: Emma these children were having an absolute ball and were so animate and excited when they matched up the objects. We hope your 3 enjoy it just as much! :) :)

6. avatar Lynda says:

Love the colour matched ribbons to the image sheet. I’ve done something similar with sight words in rice bottles.

::: Nice idea Lynda. It’s great how a simple idea like this can be extended to engage children of all different ages and stages of development. :) :)

7. avatar Greg says:

I recently made similar things, but in bottles with coloured water, oil & florescent glitter. Amongst these were two little sea creatures. As the children move the bottles the creatures come into & out of view. It’s constant discovery, but I love how the children helped create these.

::: Hmmm … oil water and glitter you say Greg??? Sounds interesting. We’ll have to try that one! :) :)

8. avatar Louise says:

Thanks Kurboroo Kinder (especially for thinking out the color coding etc) and Sherry and Donna – a nice fresh activity for my pre-ks – and a good use for those tiny figures you can get so cheaply. :)

::: The children in the post were pre-k’s Louise. Here’s hoping your children love them just as much! :) :)

9. avatar JJ says:

Great photos, however I have to express concern over the use of a food product being used in a play situation. I’m not sure I would use this on the website. Just rice is a staple food product of many countries and there are children and families now residing in Western countries that may be concerned about a food product being ‘wasted’ in this type of play

::: Using food in play is always going to be a controversial topic JJ and as with anything we all have our own philosophy on this topic. Thank you so much for your comment, we really appreciate hearing peoples varying points of view. :) :)

10. Love this idea! I’ll have to make these for my classroom this year!

::: Have fun with them Karen! :) :)

11. avatar Dee Garrett says:

Instead of rice, if there is a concern over using food products, why not use sand? A little more tricky but just as good.

::: Great idea Dee … Confetti would be interesting too! :) :)

12. avatar MERoot says:

Instead of confetti, I think you could use the left over from a paper hole puncher. I have bags of that left over that I use for all sorts of things in class. Also a great way to reuse/recycle material!

::: WOW Talk about ‘great minds think alike’ MERoot … That is exactly what we did last week with the children! We will post about it very soon. :) :)

13. avatar Shannon says:

I’ve used I spy jars and bags before, but I really like the idea of matching up the objects with a card. I also really liked how the children were involved in the process.

::: We totally agree Shannon. Matching the objects to the cards really is a terrific extension to the I spy jars! :) :)

14. avatar Kathy SLP says:

An extension: Cut the color-coded pictures apart. Put them into an interesting container and let the children “pick and match”. To increase the challenge, set a timer! Take turns with others or “play against yourself”!

::: Nice idea Kathy … Thanks for sharing. :) :)