::: sand playdough

As we have been running some workshops on sand recently, it has caused us to think widely about uses we can find for this wonderful, cheap and accessible product.

All children love playdough and all children love sand (well nearly all!) …

so why not combine them?

We found an uncooked recipe that is very successful.

4 cups clean sand

3 cups flour

1 cup water

1/4 cup oil

Combine all ingredients together in a bowl. Knead it until it forms a ball. Add more water if it is too dry or more flour if it is too wet.

It combines sand table play and playdough, and children never want to put it away.

It is good for children that are very tactile.

We also like to adapt our mini playdough recipe to include sand so the children can make individual batches of dough. They love mixing up their own.

1 tablespoon clean sand

4 tablespoons plain flour

2 tablespoons water

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

Additional sand to roll playdough through for added texture

Alternatively you could make up your regular playdough recipe, a little wetter than usual, and provide the children with containers of sand to roll and mix the playdough through!

Tags: , , , , ,

32 Responses to “sand playdough”

1. avatar Gianne says:

Gosh, is there anything you guys do over here that I don’t LOVE?!! Gotta try this!! BTW, I replied to your comment on my webpage. Thanks for stoppin’ by!

Gianne at cowsgomooandducksgoquack.blogspot.com

::: Thanks Gianne and you’re welcome! :) :)

2. avatar Gabrielle says:

Thanks for that. I will think differently when the playdough from our Playgroup takes its journey from playdough table to cubby where it is carefully mixed with sand and then presented to the ‘tea set’ table. From now on I will keep it and call it sand playdoug;)

::: Hee … hee … good on you Gabrielle! We like your attitude. :) :)

3. avatar Kate says:

Wow! We have had a sand tray near the play dough table for the start of this term and the sand seems to be making it into our regular dough and drying it out. I think we will be exploring this recipe next week.

::: It is a nice texture so hopefully your children will enjoy it Kate. :) :)

4. This does sound Great! Combining two things kids Love! Will the play dough harden with a sandy texture?

::: Melissa with the amount of sand we used the playdough lasted like regular playdough does. If however, you added a lot of sand, it would probably dry out much quicker. :) :)

5. avatar Teacher Tom says:

Perfect! We’ll be doing this today, although I don’t know if our sand will be very clean . . . =)

::: Your sand is VERY different to our sand Tom BUT I’m sure it will still make for an interesting texture … and colour! :) :)

6. We’ve made some of this type of play dough too! The recipe we used is meant to air dry to keep the creations though :)

::: Ah yes we have that recipe too! We used it to make some dinosaur eggs. We must write up a post on that one too Aleacia. :) :)

7. avatar Amanda says:

Oooh, I love it!

::: It is a gorgeous texture Amanda! :) :)

8. avatar mag atineo says:

i totally love this as its something my children can play with indoors especially during this raining season

::: We love this playdough too Mag … It’s probably our favourite recipe! :) :)

9. avatar Stephanie says:

What a great idea to use sand in play dough recipe. I’ll have to take this recipe along when we go camping at the beach this summer.

::: What a cool idea Stephanie! :) :)

10. avatar Karen says:

Must try this one. I made a cooked sand-playdoh that unfortunately only lasted a couple of days. Hopefully this has a greater longevity as the children loved it!

::: Ours certainly lasted like regular playdough would so hopefully it works for you too Karen. :) :)

11. avatar Madilyn Broadsky says:

This is A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!! Very smart and unique of u guys!! Keep making more AWESOME ideas!!!! :D

::: Thanks Madilyn … We’ll get the children onto t!

12. avatar Amanda says:

Ours went smelly over the long weekend, tho this may be because the agency left it outside >_<…….Did anyone else's go bad??

::: Amanda our sand playdough lasted as long as regular playdough … Not sure what happened there. :) :)

13. avatar Stephanie says:

This looks like a great activity for this morning’s rainy Sunday! Thank you!

::: Have fun Stephanie! :) :)

14. […] arena, harina, agua y aceite podemos hacer una masa para modelarla igual que la plastelina, y con un poco de colorante o unas gotas de pintura da aun más juego. Las […]

15. avatar mariejune says:

hey i love this. thanks for sharing. would be looking forward to the weekend to do this with the kids….

::: Thanks Mariejune … have fun with it! :) :)

16. […] Recipe for Sand Playdough!- What kid doesn’t like playdough? Especially when they can make it themselves! […]

17. avatar Amama says:

Ours went bad in two days! Yuck. Smelled terrible. Most recipes have salt in them. Does that act as a preservative? We loved the first two days but had to throw it out. :(

::: Sand play dough certainly doesn’t last as long as regular playdough Amama. Alternatively try making up a regular playdough recipe with a little extra water and add the sand until the consistency is good. :) :)

18. avatar jeanie says:

Has anyone tried to bake this like clay? Im curious if it might crack or just not hold. Thanks.

::: Jeanie we’ve not tried to bake it. It does tend to dry out and fall apart however but if you try it PLEASE let us know how it goes. :) :)

19. avatar Jehan says:

Due to the wet weather in Sydney I couldn’t put it outside to dry; so I made a hole in the middle and I baked it with the children, it didn’t fall apart, then the children smelt and felt it and it was worm then painted it and now we are deciding where to hang it up. The children suggest several places like our room Allambbee (3-5) or in the babies’ room Alluka (0-1) or in Amaroos room (2-3) room. I don’t know how long it will last but I think baking it prevents it from getting smelly.

::: Well, that sounds very interesting Jehan. We will have to give it a go too now … Thanks for letting us know! :) :)

20. avatar HarpyMom says:

I love this! We are learning about the Ten Commandments & I was looking for a play dough that did not require cooking. Now the kids can make their own tablets! I will be back to see what else you have!
    Thanks sharing such wonderful things!

::: HarpyMom, this recipe certainly cuts down on the washing up – all in the one bowl and not stuck to the sides of the pot like the cooked version. You just have to like that!

21. Great idea, I’ve never found play dough like this before. Sounds interesting and easy, I’ve got to try this, thanks.

::: It is different Irene and it’s really, really good fun! :) :)

22. avatar Jenny says:

This is fab! Didn’t know you could make your own play dough, sure my children will enjoy making this with me as well as playing with it.

::: Have fun with it Jenny … You will never have to buy playdough again! :) :)

23. […] found this recipe for Sand Play dough and just knew that Sammie would get a kick out of […]

24. I love this idea. My little boy is a huge sand lover and I can only imagine how much is little hands would love to explore the texture of sand playdough! Will definitely be putting this into action ASAP!

::: That’s great Rachel … ENJOY! :) :)

25. My son and I made this yesterday and it was so much fun! I hope you ladies don’t mind that I included the recipe in my blog post. I plugged your awesome site, gave a link directly to it, and of course gave you all credit for the idea! Please let me know if this is a problem. Thanks for all that you do!

::: So glad you and your son had fun with it Leslie … AND please feel free to share away! :) :)

26. I just stumbled onto this post. What great fun making sand dough would be.

27. avatar Kylie says:

My kids will love this, they love playdoh and they love sand and playing in their sandpit. Thank you so much

28. Nice article about how to make dough, will make our kids happy

29. avatar Laura says:

What a fun and cool play recipe!! Cool idea!

30. avatar Jessica says:

What temperature was the water when you added it? Cold, room temp, hot?

31. avatar admin says:

We used cold water Jessica.