::: salad spinner flowers

We have posted before on salad spinner art using paint …

but last week over at Highvale Preschool, the children in Narelle and Pam’s group where creating their salad spinner art using coloured water and pipettes.

They picked up a couple of salad spinners for just $5 from Ikea!

Pippets are so great for fine motor muscle development. It can be quite a challenge to squeeze and release while managing to suck up the liquid at the same time.

The children were already noticing the colour mixing taking place even before they gave it a spin.

Not only a great activity for those hand and finger muscles …

this one gives the whole arm a good work out!

We love the children’s wide eyed reaction when they take off the lid.

Another great colour mixing opportunity to add to ‘the list’!

Tags: , , ,

13 Responses to “salad spinner flowers”

1. What a fantastic way to create colour mixing! I’m off to Ikea during the Easter holidays! Thanks girls :)

:: It’s our pleasure Carly … have fun with it! :) :)

2. avatar Amy A says:

I love it! I don’t think we’ve ever used colored water for our spin art either! Brilliant!

::: It’s nice to know we never stop learning isn’t it Amy? :) :)

3. avatar finleysmaid says:

ah fab ..ive been trying to think of some more ways to use the salad spinners …the children love them and can use them completely independently now. I really like this and we have some brusho dye which would work brilliantly. I wondered if teacher toms centrifugal force hamster wheel might lead to something with them too??? what do you think?

::: Finleysmaid, we’d be more surprised if Teacher Tom DIDN’T come up with some crazy hamster wheel idea than we would be if he did! :) :)

4. Those are beautiful! We just did spin art easter eggs!

::: We noticed your beaut’ eggs through Facebook Melissa … they looked great too! :) :)

5. avatar BookChook says:

I’m wide-eyed too. Lovely!

::: Thanks Book Chook! :) :)

6. avatar Louise says:

I wish Ikea wasn’t SOOOOOOO far away, but i have finally managed to source 2 spinners so next term we’ll be doing this one – like the flowers shapes as the base – but where do you get pipettes as opposed to eye droppers – it looks like they might hold more liquid? :)

::: Louise you can pick up pipettes from our local craft shop here at ‘Eastland’. Let me know if you’d like me to get some and I’ll post them up or give them to you when your next down in Melbourne … just email me donna@playbasedlearning.com.au :) :)

7. [...] Salad Spinner Flowers from Irresistible Ideas for Play Based Learning [...]

8. avatar jenny says:

I’ve been wanting an excuse to go to IKEA and now it looks like I have found one!

::: So glad we could help out with that excuse Jenny! :) :)

9. avatar Louise says:

Thanks for that kind offer, Donna but I thought of looking in the catalogues and found some – they do have some useful stuff in them! :)

::: No worries Louise! :) :)

10. avatar quinny72 says:

What a great idea, I work with toddlers and I think with some gentle help they could achieve this. Love it thank you

::: Once they get that spinning action happening Quinny they will LOVE it! :) :)

11. avatar bianca says:

Wow! These are gorgeous! You should have seen my wide eyed reaction to the result. I thought the runny dye would just blur and become a big mess but they are fabulous. I saw somewhere…one brilliant blogger was salad spinning CD’s with paint and a tablespoon of hair gel (just read your snap lock bag piece). I’m on holidays but I just can’t wait to get back to school and get messy again :) :)

::: Hmmm … hair gel in the salad spinner art? We’d like to know more about that one. Enjoy your break Bianca. :) :)

12. avatar Jenn says:

I was just wondering what you used for the coloured die (wasn’t sure if it was paint that might have been watered down, or food colouring). These flowers look beautiful and I thought I might get my kindergarten children to make them to help decorate for our upcoming Mother’s Day Tea. Thanks for letting me know.

::: Jen you could use food colouring but if you add water you will end up with a much diluted colour. We’re not sure what they used at Highvale Prechool but we’re guessing it was Edicol dye … a powdered form of colouring. :) :)