::: an oldie but a goodie – action song

Little cottage in the wood.

Little man at the window stood.

Saw a rabbit hopping by.

Frightened as can be.

Help me! Help me! Help! he cried,

Before the hunter he sees me.

Come little rabbit, come inside.

Safe here you will be.

This little song is one we both did as children but have not heard for AGES until our young friends, Tige and Kate, reminded us of it recently, when they gave us an impromptu performance.

The first time they sang the song right through with the actions, but the next time through they didn’t sing the first line, and in each subsequent verse one additional line was dropped until on the 10th time through it was only actions!

Little cottage in the wood

Little man at the window stood.

Saw a rabbit hopping by …

frightened as can be.

Help me! Help me! Help! he cried.

Before the hunter he sees me.

Come little rabbit , come inside.

Safe here you will be.

WOW! Talk about bringing back memories …. what fun!

Tags:

10 Responses to “an oldie but a goodie – action song”

1. Zoey says:

Wow, I sung this as a child taught by my mum or nana except our version goes “Help me help me the rabbit said before the Hunter shoots me dead, Come little rabbit stay with me, Happy we will be!

::: Zoe we sang that version too! It would seem the lines have been changed over time. We think there are probably many versions of this song going around. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

2. Yelena says:

Wow, we sang this exact song when I was a child, except instead of a little man it was a deer. Oh, and the entire song was in Russian πŸ™‚ Amazing!

::: We love that children at the same the world over Yelena! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

3. Celia says:

We sang that growing up, and we also sang it “or the hunter will shoot me dead”. I’ve taught my boys the way I learned it and they thought it was a hilarious song. Almost every line in mine is slightly different, but fun song nonetheless.
    “There was a little house in the middle of the woods.
    A little old man by the window stood.
    He saw a little rabbit hopping by,
    knocking at the door.
    Help me, help me, help me he said!
    Or the hunter will shoot me dead.
    Come little rabbit, come with me.
    Happy we will be.”

::: Hee … hee … Like we said Celia … an oldie but such a goodie! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

4. Shi Jing says:

I didn’t realise there was an English version for this song – I sang the Mandarin version as a child, and have taught my students the Mandarin version all this while!

::: That is SO cool Chrys! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

5. Tracy says:

I also learnt the shooting dead version at TAFE many years ago… I haven’t sung it in a long time because of the lyrics. Now I have a new version with actions to try!

::: I think they came up with a new ‘politically correct’ version in more recent times Tracy! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

6. Mel says:

Thanks for the new version. I’ve been mumbling the “shoot me dead” line with my kids at home, will now be able to take it to kinder.

::: Hee … hee … Have fun with it Mel! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

7. Alana says:

I remember learning this in Brownies many many years ago, this will be great for one of my TAFE assessments!

::: We remember it from Brownies too Alana! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

8. Jane says:

Yes to be politically correct I changed the words shoot me dead to set a trap. Will still get the same result to the rabbit but sounds less violent! Just clap your hands together for the action.

::: We don’t think it matters what line you sing Jane … Just as long as you SING! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

9. Robert says:

I am surprised to find so many versions of this song but its hard to find it similar to what Celia has placed. I was taught it as a child very similar to what what Celia put down however the version I learned has a second verse that is a little faster then the first:

There was a little house in the middle of the woods
    A little old man by the window stood
    He saw a rabbit hopping by
    knocking at the door
    Help me, help me, help me he said
    Or the hunter will shoot me dead
    Come little rabbit, come with me
    Happy we will be

ONE TWO THREE FOUR

Boom boom boom boom
    In a pad in the forest green
    Boom boom boom boom
    Crazy Herman is servey’n the scene
    Boom boom boom boom
    Saw a rabbit hopping by, rappin at his door

TWO THREE FOUR

Boom boom boom boom
    Like help, like help came his plea
    Boom boom boom boom
    Or the farmer will exterminate me
    Boom boom boom boom
    Little rabbit don’t jump and shout, come in and we’ll hang out
    Yah

::: Robert we LOVE that there are so many versions of this song … Thanks for sharing yours with us! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

10. Donna says:

We are singing this in Yolgnu Matha and English in the preschool I work in.