::: walking water

Another terrific and very simple science experience our children find interesting is what we call ‘walking water’.

For this experiment all you need is paper towel, a couple of glasses and some water . We prefer to colour the water to make it easier for the children to see what is happening.

Fill one of the glasses with the water and raise it up higher than the other glass. Place a strip of paper towel from the top glass, ensuring it touches the bottom, down to the lower glass.

Now watch what happens as the paper towel absorbs and syphons the water through the paper into the lower glass.

It will take a little while …

but eventually the entire glass of water will empty into the bottom glass.

Oh … and on the advice of our children, next time we won’t use yellow water. They though it looked kind of gross!

Tags: ,

20 Responses to “walking water”

Cool! But I see the kids’ point about the yellow water :)

::: Hee … hee … hee … We do now too Scott! :) :)

2. avatar Louise says:

Ah, it’s great to learn from others – I’ll try blue next week! :)

::: Have fun with it Louise! :) :)

3. avatar brybraara says:

I did this project with my pre-k class last week. They thought it was awesome! they really liked telling people that they were able to make water walk!

::: Simple science is so impressive for young children isn’t it Brybraara? … And such fun! :) :)

4. avatar Pam Pike says:

What a great idea. I’ll be sure to show this to my grandchildren.

::: It’s so much fun Pam … ENJOY! :) :)

5. avatar Marie says:

Brilliant idea,

In response not using coloured water how about drawing lines a few cms apart with bright felt tip and using clear water then watching to see the odours run/maybe mix. Could also try spots of food colouring and then see if this affects the colour of the water in the other cup- can’t wait to try x

Thanks for the wonderful ideas

Marie.

::: Marie a did an experiment called ‘climbing colours’ where we drew colour on paper towel and popped them into glasses of water … the results were awesome. We like the food colour idea too … Thanks for the sharing! http://www.playbasedlearning.com.au/2011/02/climbing-colours/ :) :)

6. avatar Debbie S. says:

lol. I did think pee when I first saw this. I’m going to try this experiment with my daughter though. thanks!

::: Hee .. hee … Have fun Debbie! :) :)

7. Awesome! This provided the perfect object lesson for me this week! Thanks!

Blessings,
    Mel
    Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

::: Thanks Mel … Have fun with it! :) :)

8. avatar Karen says:

About how long does it take for this to work? I can’t wait to try it with my preschool class next week!!! Thanks guys!!

(I love pinterest for directing me here!)

::: Karen this starts to work straight away. Depends on how much liquid you use and how steep the climb out of the glass is. Ours took around half an hour to reach the end of the paper and another half hour or so to empty into the lower glass … And YAY for Pintrest indeed :) :)

9. avatar Julie says:

Very cool! My little ones will love this.

::: It’s a real ripper Julie … Have fun with it! :) :)

10. avatar Jenn says:

I did this experiment today with my class. I used purple food colouring and the coolest thing happened! The blue actually was separated from the purple and the water in the bottom container is blue, not purple!! I don’t know why this happened, but it was a happy coincidence! I suggest you try it!

::: That sounds really cool Jenn … Will certainly have to try the purple! :) :)

11. avatar Christy says:

Do you know the science behind this experiment?

::: Christy paper towel is absorbent. (Paper towels are made up of cellulose fibers, which also make up cotton, wood, and most other plants. These cellulose fibers are actually giant molecules that consist of many small molecules linked together. http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/how-do-paper-towels-absorb-water/) and as it absorbs the liquid, the liquid is pushed along the paper until it runs out of space and runs off the end of the paper into the glass. :) :)

12. [...] הנה קישורים לשני ניסויים שונים. האחד מראה כיצד המים עולים למעלה, על ידי הנחת נייר מגבת שעליו פסים של מרקר הנמרחים שעה שהמים טפסים מעלה. בניסוי שאנחנו ערכנו, פשוט ראינו את המים הצבועים עולים. הקישור השני הוא לניסוי המראה כיצד המים יורדים למטה. [...]

13. avatar Carmen says:

Thank you! Fridays are “science days” at our homeschool and I didn’t get my experiment lined up before I came to work. This is a very simple experiment that my boys will love and I have everything I need!

::: That’s great Carmen!! :) :)

14. I love this—found the link on pinterest and am going to use it this week—-thanks :)

::: It is a lot of fun Christine … Enjoy! :) :)

15. avatar coco says:

wow i just saw it amazingggggggggggggggggg

16. avatar Jennifer says:

In addition to Monday Kid Corner Weekly Linky Party, this week’s theme is WATER. Brush off those archives and link them up at http://thejennyevolution.com/category/linky-parties/monday-kid-corner/ See you there! Jennifer

17. avatar Tracey says:

You could also have a yellow and a blue cup on the ledge both feeding into one cup below.
    The water will change to green as it mixes.

18. avatar mica says:

I going to do this for school and I hope I have fun doing if you have fun I think I will have fun. plz hope I do it right and I hope you have fun doing this I hear I fun