::: lovely light boxes

On our travels around the various kindergartens we have noticed that some of them have light boxes in their playrooms.

They have various objects placed on the top of them …

including these fabulous gel pouches …

in different shapes …

including numbers.

All providing wonderful opportunities for colour mixing.

Wishing stones look beautiful on top too.

While the clever use of mirrored screens …

really added to the magic of these beautiful play spaces.

Tags: , , ,

13 Responses to “lovely light boxes”

1. avatar Teacher Tom says:

We love our light box . . . and our overhead projector! What a great idea to use mirrored screens. I’m going to have to make one of those!

::: Love the idea of an overhead projector Tom. We will have to keep our eyes open for one of those as we visit other early childhood settings. It would be very interesting to see what the children are doing with them. :) :)

2. avatar Merril says:

I love the gel pouches and cellophane…actually I love all of the materials used here. We use Magna Tiles with our light table and projector. I definitely feel like the kids are ready for some additional materials though, I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled!

::: Merril have you seen Maria’s post over at http://casamarias.blogspot.com/2010/05/stripe-lights.html I think it looks amazing! :) :)

3. avatar Maureen says:

Our light table is always in use and occasionally I’ll put out the overhead projector. The fun with light, shadows, colour and more is never ending. I did a post of several of the ideas we used for our light table. I look forward to seeing others you find at other centres.

::: Thanks for that Maureen. I’ll pop on over and take a look. :) :)

4. avatar Sheryl says:

We love our light table! Love the idea of adding the mirror. We, too, love our overhead projector.

Sheryl

::: Wow … I’m really keen to see some of these overhead projectors in action now Sheryl! :) :)

5. avatar Lisa Brady says:

We keep an overhead projector in our science area. First we started with wipe off markers, then they dried out… Then I found treasure ( translucent colored tangram shapes) tucked deep inside a storage closet. Then we realized we had translucent magnetic rimmed discs with our magnets. I tried a glass pie pan with colored water & oil but not sure we had the appropriate amounts b/c we couldn’t see the difference between water & oil on the wall. And lately the kids have been adding paper clips to the magnetic discs and manipulating them with magnet wands while watching what happens on the wall. The projector draws them in and the ones who spend more than a moment seem a bit more “centered” when they complete their work there.

::: WOW Lisa that sounds fabulous … good on you! :) :)

6. avatar Erin says:

I love light tables – it’s on my wish list for this year’s resource budget.
    I plan to make my own ‘gel pouches’ by putting water, glitter, gelatine, paint, sequins etc into snap lock bags and sealing them up. Have you seen anyone making their own ones?

::: Erin the gel pouches we’ve come across are all commercially bought but I think making your own is a great idea. I think hair gel would work really well inside a sturdy zip lock bag too. :) :)

7. avatar Bev says:

I love light tables! Ours is homemade. There are so many different possibilities. It’s been in the back of my mind to add a mirror sometime…just haven’t done it yet! Thanks for the reminder!

::: It’s our pleasure Bev. :) :)

8. avatar Kali says:

Do you know where they got those gel pouches and numbers from? I’d love to get some of those for my preschool room!

::: Kali in Melbourne you can purchase them through the Bellbird Craft Supplies catalogue. http://www.bellbirdkidz.com.au/shop/index.php?cPath=1421_963&osCsid=72fd1625bc1db71e3118c2b4465d3182

9. avatar Janie Moroz says:

Where in the world can I find the gel-filled numerals and shapes? They are wonderful!

::: Janie if you are in Melbourne you can purchase them through this link … http://www.bellbirdkidz.com.au/shop/index.php?cPath=1421_963&osCsid=72fd1625bc1db71e3118c2b4465d3182 :) :)

10. avatar Michelle says:

Hi there, try looking up “rainbow stew” great on light tables to show colour mixing. Empty sterilized pill bottles filled with small items like dice, toys, marbles etc. Clay or playdoh with colorful straws poking out. Goldfish swimming in a bowl. Lets see what else I’ve seen & tried…you can use colorful bowls, cups etc & do sorting activities on the table. You can also try parchment paper taped down & fingerpaint.
    There’s a few for now. I also just went to Dollarama today and picked up some translucent colourful Halloween bats, spiders & rats to add to the table with an assortment of other items.
    Have fun!

::: WOW Michelle you have been having fun!!! Thanks for sharing all your great ideas with us. :) :)

11. avatar cate says:

can you buy ready made light box play tables?
    Thanks cate

::: Yes Cate you can buy ready made light boxes. They come from School supply companies and Craft centers often have them too, :) :)

12. avatar Linda says:

Thank you for these brilliant ideas! Will definitely try it out with my grp of 6 yrs old.

::: You’re very welcome Linda … Enjoy! :) :)