::: irresistible clock sculptures

As we mentioned in tick tock we had another exciting adventure planned using the disassembled clocks (and our best friend -  the hot glue glue gun).

We felt it was time for another whole group project and thought the children would enjoy a follow up to our nature sculptures.

We recycled a couple of old tins and covered them in wire as the base.

One for each group.

The children took it in turns to glue together a small selection of clock parts and other bits and pieces we had put out.

They chose the parts …

the positioning of them …

and did the glueing.

We are impressed at how confident …

and safety conscious around the glue gun they are now.

Both groups created a magnificent sculpture.

Blue Group said theirs looked like a “time machine”.

While Red Group thought theirs looked like it had come from “outer space”.

One of the fun things about this was that the clocks still ticked and the alarms could still be set to go off which gave both sculptures some animation!

It went tick when it moved

and tock when it stopped

and brinnnggggggg when it stood still!

Both groups gained a heap of satisfaction from their combined efforts and were very proud of them selves.

Irresistible sculptures indeed!

We have linked this post to the Nurture Store – Play Academy #14

Why not pop on over and see what others have been playing at this week!

Tags: , ,

12 Responses to “irresistible clock sculptures”

1. This is such a great idea. I need to search my house for some items for my girls to use.

::: Be warned Randi once they start dismantling your ‘junk’ they will want to move onto the good stuff … nothing will be safe! :) :)

2. avatar Lily says:

This is just fabulous, I love it!

::: Thank you Lily. :) :)

3. avatar Catherine says:

You gals are amazing. I love this! What lucky children they are.

::: Gee thanks Catherine but we can’t take the credit. We gals just supplied the ‘stuff’ … it was the children who created these little masterpieces! :) :)

4. avatar Karen says:

The sculptures are amazing! I am definitely going to give this a go. Will put out the call to all families for unwanted clocks. :)

::: Have fun with it Karen! :) :)

5. avatar Linda says:

I love that you have a second stage of your tick tock project – what wonderful sculptures! I have seen a cordless glue gun at Spotlight for around $60 – does this sound like the kind you have? I am seriously thinking of buying one for the classroom but haven’t seen any in action before & amp; the propellant idea makes me a bit nervous!

::: Linda we bought our cordless glue guns for $16 from Bunnings!!! They are the larger size and take the fatter glue sticks (12mm??) Certainly the smaller guns which sell for around $8 – $10 have an easier trigger action for the children but we find using the cordless gun gives them more freedom and independence. Ideally you would have one of each and give the children a choice! We are at the stage where our children have used them often enough that we don’t feel the need to hover over them any more. As for propellant … we’ve not noticed any! :) :)

6. avatar Linda says:

Thanks so much – glad I didn’t take the plunge at Spotlight!

::: :) :)

7. Speechless. I bow to the masters. They are just amazing!

::: You could do the same type of thing with those computer keyboards Jenny … Go on DO IT! :) :)

Fantastic sculptures. You’re kids may need to get their work in a gallery to sell (Like Teacher Tom’s kids). These are truly wonderful… irresistible.

::: Great idea Scott! Selling them off would be much easier than deciding who will take them home at the end of the year! :) :)

9. avatar Nardia says:

This is fantastic – well done to you and the kids!! I have to ask what that song is?? “It went tick when it moved…” It brings back vague memories but I can’t quite place my finger on it?
    Thanks for bringing such inspiration.

::: Thanks Nardia the children had a ball with this … and here is a link to the song “The Marvelous Toy http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/john+denver/the+marvelous+toy_20073629.html :) :)

10. avatar Light says:

This looks oh so fun! What a great item of deconstruction!!!! Thanks for posting!

::: Thanks Light! Today the children made small individual machines’ to take home. We’ll post on this in a few days time. :) :)

11. Hello

Just wanted to say thank you for inspiring me to get brave with the glue-gun! My children disassembled an old broken kettle and made it into a fab spaceship this weekend. I’ve written about it in my own little blog. And credited you guys for the idea and encouragement of course. I’ve put a link in my post to yours – hope that’s OK.

Thanks again. And here’s to more creative machine-sculpture!

::: That is SO COOL Julia! We bet the children LOVED it … we’ll pop right over and take a look … and thanks for the link! :) :)

12. avatar Bianca says:

Unbelievable…we have been collecting all the bits and pieces that have been collected at our tinkering table as they are so precious once extracted…what an awsome idea to extend an activity. I love it.

::: Bianca this was one of the children’s most favourite activities all year … they simply LOVE those glue guns! :) :)