::: chopstick fun

We read a book to the children called “Cleversticks” which talks about valuing each child for what they can do instead of focusing on what they cannot do. In the end they all help each other with their respective skills.

The main little boy used chopsticks to eat with, which led to a discussion about the different ways we eat our food and how it differs depending on what we are are eating and where.

Some children said they used chopsticks but with the little spring in them, which helps them a lot. They thought they would like to give normal chopsticks a try so we put out regular chopsticks with cottonwool balls so the children could practise transferring them from one bowl to another.

We have to say that most did very well …

while others  …

still need a little practice!

Tags: ,

9 Responses to “chopstick fun”

1. Shar says:

I love the way that the tables have been set up. Gorgeous. I am going to use this activity for International Day or Chinese New Year. Thanks 🙂

::: Well as you know we are great believers in making activities look inviting Shar so thank you. Love the International Day/Chinese New Year idea! 🙂 🙂

2. Deborah says:

Now that is a very “clever” idea!!

::: hee hee … thanks Deborah. 🙂 🙂

3. Karen says:

I often set up a Chinese homecorner/resaurant with play oven, Bamboo steamer, large cardboard and ricepaper lanterns and melamine crockery I purchased very cheaply at the Asian grocers. I bought heaps of plates, chinese spoons, tea cups etc and the whole lot was under $10. I chop up wool to use as noodles. Add the tape recorder with some oriental music and some posters written with big Chinese words and it’s very poular!!!!

::: That sounds absolutely irresistible Karen … Love it! 🙂 🙂

4. We love this book too. We’re just reading it again now in the run up to my daughter starting school as it covers the school day nicely too.

:: It is a nice book isn’t it Cathy … enjoy! 🙂 🙂

5. Louise says:

Thanks for this idea – I like the idea of using books with non- Anglo characters to promote the diversity that is after all, all around us, as well as such a good message – and linked to a targetted fine motor skill makes it even more of a winner. Would you be able sometime to post about other “multi-cultural” books or songs you use and the activities you develop around them…I would really appreciate seeing what else you do….if you could squeeze one in amongst all the other ideas you share…Thanks! 🙂
    PS Love the set up, as usual – but what is that box thing doing behind this table?

::: Okay Louise we’ll see what we can do! The box thing you’re refering to is not a box at all, it is a couple of little dividers, of which we made about a dozen, that we use as walls to enclose small or individual activities … It’s a little hard to explain so we’ll plan on posting about how you can make those too! 🙂 🙂

6. Tracy says:

What a coincidence! I read the same book the same day! It is one of my favourites to discuss with the children. I often think about extending it with actual chopsticks, now I am really inspired! I just have to get some chopsticks first!

::: It is a great book Tracy. You could always use paint brushes like in the story of course! 🙂 🙂

7. Teacher Tom says:

It would be interesting to try this at our school because several of my students eat with chopsticks at home. I wonder if they would help teach the other kids or intimidate them? Hmm . . .

::: Tom a couple of our children have used chopsticks at restaurants before but none use them at home. Our children made fried rice yesterday and ate with chopsticks and we found that the ‘experienced’ children were the prefered teachers over us! 🙂 🙂

8. Tracy says:

*Slaps her forehead* Of course, paintbrushes!!! I’m glad I have next week off, cos I obviously need to recharge the ole brain cells! It’ll be interesting to see how they go with chopsticks, since I have a large majority of asian families in my room – not sure who uses chopsticks at home though… I definately need to find a source for a tea set and the spoons – we have none at the moment, and the spoons are great for fine motor activities and art activities too!

::: Tracy have you ever shopped at a Chinese supermarket? You can pick up Chinese tea sets, bowls, spoons and chopsticks for very little money! 🙂 🙂

9. Tracy says:

My local chinese greengrocers didn’t have any that I saw last time I went… I’ll have to keep a look out for a supermarket…

::: Tracy if you ‘Google’ Asian Grocers in your area, you’re bound to find something … or try your local dollar/discount store! 🙂 🙂