::: a pinball/marble maze

We just can’t seem to get enough of marbles at the moment!

We had a big shallow box including its lid in the storeroom needing to be used in some fashion, so following on from our marble run fun outside and with a bit of a hit from Teacher Tom and his ‘homemade pinball machine‘ we thought it would be fun to make a couple of portable pinball/marble mazes inside the boxes.

With a bit of direction from Donna, the children Blu Tacked pieces of dowelling, cones, cylinders, corks, bottles tops and bits and pieces sourced from the invention table onto this great box.

Then, as a team, they popped in a marble (or marbles) and moved the box up and down and round about trying to get the marble to follow a trail, preferably through the tunnels.

And they did … over and over again!

We invited the children to bring along some shoe boxes to kinder as they are firm and strong so they could make their own mini versions to take home.

By using Blu Tack to adhere the bits and pieces, the children are able to move the parts around to alter the marbles path, adding an extra dimension to their new game.

They loved it!

With all the Blu Tack Jarvis used that marble wasn’t going anywhere!

The children created their own unique designs …

and we saw some very unusual onesΒ too.

But none quite as inspiring as our young friend Clives …

who even made his own ‘shoe box’!

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to “a pinball/marble maze”

1. Teacher Tom says:

Nice! I love that they get to take one home. I’m also very impressed with your ongoing use of Blu Tack, which I’ve discovered is called “Mounting Putty” here in the States. I think this will be a fun tinkering project for us tomorrow. We’re going to have a very irresistible Tuesday!

::: YAY for irresistible Tuesdays Tom! … and Mondays, Wednesday, Thursday and Fridays for that matter! Oh and Saturdays and Sundays too … but they’re a given!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

2. Deborah says:

That is super cool!

::: Thank you Deborah. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

3. denise says:

The marble maze is brilliant. I love the variety of creations.
    My preschool daughters and I built a big geoboard this summer. My older daughter first had the idea to build mazes with rubber bands on the geoboard and then to introduce a marble and move the board around to guide the marble through the maze.

::: Denise that sounds awesome! … We picked up some lengths of pine this weekend so our children could make their own geoboards. We’ll see if they too bring the marbles out! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

4. Launa says:

Love it! Another idea of yours that I’m filing away–thank you!

::: You’re very welcome Launa! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

5. Louise says:

I love the way the ideas loop back to previous projects – and like Tom, that they can take them home – and all that motor planning, visual tracking and so on that is “hidden” in a great activity. And thanks to Denise for a fabulous hammering idea….:)

::: We agree with everything you’ve said here Louise. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

6. jenny says:

This post had me humming the theme from “Tommy” as I read it πŸ™‚ I recently saved a post from Get Your Mess on which had something similiar you might be interested in:

::: Hey thanks for the link Jenny, we’ll be sure to check it out. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

7. Scott says:

This is brilliant! Using the Blue Tac so they can move around the maze – also brilliant. I’m going to need to start working double time just to keep up with you, Jenny, and Tom!

::: Blu Tack is our second best friend Scott! I guess after being away on summer vacation you will have some catching up to do! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

8. denise says:

I must give credit to Filth Wizardry and Teacher Tom for the geoboard inspiration…

::: Good on you denise! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

9. So fun! Love it!