::: cd spinners

We’ve used CD’s as garden art before but are always on the look out for new ways to use them.

After reading our post on spinning tops one of our followers, Monica, mentioned another activity she saw in “FamilyFun magazine“ using CD’s to make spinners (another ‘spin’ on our spinning tops!).

The children took a CD, a ball of Blu Tak and a marble. They placed the Blu Tak over the hole in the CD and pushed the marble into it which in turn pushed a blob of the Blu Tak through to the other side.

On the other side they pressed a small bottle cap into the bulging Blu Tak.

They decorated the CD’s with textas or cut out paper …

then popped them onto a flat surface and spun them.

They were really easy for the children to spin as the bottle cap was a good size for their fingers to get a good grip on …

and the CD ‘s were so nicely balanced.

They looked beautiful when they spun, not only because of the children’s decorations, but also the way the light caught the CD’s, producing almost holographic rainbow colours.

Tags: , , ,

12 Responses to “cd spinners”

1. avatar Heidi says:

the top of a used school glue bottle also works great for a tip and spin handle! Love your blog!

2. avatar Teacher Tom says:

You’re right Donna! I do love it. Like I said, I have tons of CDs. Now I’m going to do a little research to find out what we call Blu Tak in the US! =)

3. avatar Deborah says:

I have a ton of CD’s too – now I know what we can do with them:)

4. avatar Lori says:

Teacher Tom!!
    You can find it at almost any art/school supply store. It is like an adhesive putty, and there are so many brands (UHU has one, but this one is smelly like the glue). We did this activity using some homemade dough and it worked great also! So there you have a two in one activity… make the dough with the kids then the spinners!

5. Excellent idea. If you don’t mind, I’ll share a link into my ever-growing collection of the ways to reuse broken CDs and DVDs! If you want to take a look, link is: http://www.squidoo.com/oldcd Thank you for sharing this here! :)

6. avatar jenny says:

I too have a stack of old CD’s at preschool. Now I know what we are going to do with them. I’m going to try this out with the kids on tuesday – I’ll let you know how we go!

7. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Early Childhood, letthechildrenplay. letthechildrenplay said: What can you do with an old CD, some blu tak, a bottle top and a marble? Make a spinning top, that's what. http://fb.me/xAlYBTli [...]

8. avatar Alissa says:

WOW, what a great idea. I am definitely going to be collecting old, used, scratched CDs now (I couldn’t bring myself to use new ones).

::: Alissa ask you families if they have old CD’s you might be surprised what you end up with! :) :)

9. avatar Elise says:

So simple to create and so effective. What fun for the children to make their very own spinner.

10. avatar pam says:

what wonderful idea for recycling those old CD’s!
    @teacher Tom here in the US it is called poster putty and is usually blue, but also comes in gray and white.

11. Love this! I just posted a CD Hovercraft and suggested other CD activities like this one and your CD garden!

::: Melissa our children had a BALL making CD Hovercraft as well as CD spinners. They really are versatile aren’t they?! In order to get up extra speed our children sent their hovercarft down a sloped surface. You should try it. They really take off that way. Thanks for the links Melissa!:) :)